Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PoolSnoopy <tlatzelsberger(at)gmx(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.
Date: 2008-11-18 16:20:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> This is not something we would typically backpatch because of the danger
>> of introducing some unexpected change in libpq. We can provide a patch
>> to anyone who needs it, or if the community wants it backpatched I can
>> certainly do that.

> It isn't? It does seem like a bug, which we do typically backpatch ...

Well, it's a risk-reward tradeoff. In this case it seems like there's
a nontrivial risk of creating new bugs against fixing a problem that
evidently affects very few people. I concur with Bruce's feeling that
we shouldn't backpatch ... at least not now. Once the patch has been
through beta testing we could reconsider.