Re: Enabling archive_mode without restart

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Enabling archive_mode without restart
Date: 2008-10-31 16:17:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> It certainly makes more sense to do this:

> archive_mode = off
> archive_command = '/archive/command/used/during/snapshot/backups'
>
> I could live with diddling the command to control archiving.
>
> It doesn't log anything extra when archive_mode is on?

Depends on your logging level. I don't know that there is noticeable
difference between the two in terms of performance. That said, it is
still silly that we have to handle it in such a hacky way. Frankly, it
should be a catalog reloption of some sort... "ALTER CATALOG (which
doesn't exist) archive_mode TO off" but I digress.

> Why is it safer to change archive_command to a no-op on the fly than
> to turn off archive mode?

I think it is because one launches a process that controls another
process. Just like autovacuum or the logger. You can change what the
children processes do but not the parent.

Joshua D. Drake