Re: Reduce the number of special cases to build contrib modules on windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reduce the number of special cases to build contrib modules on windows
Date: 2021-07-27 15:29:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/27/21 11:01 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Jul-28, David Rowley wrote:
>
>> 0003: Is a tidy up patch to make the 'includes' field an array rather
>> than a string
> In this one, you can avoid turning one line into four with map,
>
> - $p->AddIncludeDir($pl_proj->{includes});
> + foreach my $inc (@{ $pl_proj->{includes} })
> + {
> + $p->AddIncludeDir($inc);
> + }
>
> Instead of that you can do something like this:
>
> + map { $p->AddIncludeDir($_); } @{$pl_proj->{includes}};

using map() for a side effect like this is generally frowned upon. See
<https://metacpan.org/pod/Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitVoidMap>

    do { $p->AddIncludeDir($_); } foreach @{$pl_proj->{includes}};

would be an ok one-liner.

>> 0004: Adds code to check for duplicate references and libraries before
>> adding new ones of the same name to the project.
> I think using the return value of grep as a boolean is confusing. It
> seems more legible to compare to 0. So instead of this:
>
> + if (! grep { $_ eq $ref} @{ $self->{references} })
> + {
> + push @{ $self->{references} }, $ref;
> + }
>
> use something like:
>
> + if (grep { $_ eq $ref} @{ $self->{references} } == 0)

But I believe that's a widely used idiom :-)

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan