Re: no partition pruning when partitioning using array type

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: no partition pruning when partitioning using array type
Date: 2018-07-11 01:55:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018/07/11 4:50, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Jul-10, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> And what about those partition bound values? They are now illegal
>> for the domain, so I would expect a dump/reload to fail, regardless
>> of whether there are any values in the table.
>
> Hmm, true.

There is a patch to overhaul how partition bound values are parsed:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/18/1620/

With that patch, the error you reported upthread goes away (that is, one
can successfully create partitions), but the problem that Tom mentioned
above then appears.

What's the solution here then? Prevent domains as partition key?

Thanks,
Amit