Re: pg_upgrade: convert on read is dead end

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade: convert on read is dead end
Date: 2008-10-13 15:29:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> I expect that function cannot get toast pointer. It can get only
> detoasted attributes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A function is passed a raw datum, which can be toasted. Now, practically
all functions call one of the PG_GETARG_* macros that detoast the datum
before doing anything else, but there is also PG_GETARG_RAW_VARLENA_P
macro that returns the toast pointer. Although, grepping through the
source code suggests that it's not actually used anywhere.

--
Heikki Linnakangas