Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring postgres

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Kellyton Campos Feitosa - GYN <Kellyton(dot)Feitosa(at)gyn(dot)politec(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring postgres
Date: 2008-10-06 15:47:29
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Kellyton Campos Feitosa - GYN wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I need monitor a postgres database, but I don’t know which tool to use.
>
> The tool need perform the below actions
>
> 1. show transactions pendents
> 2. show the statistics per session actives
> 3. show the statistics per database
> 4. show metrics per session and database
> 5. show rows locks
> 6. show slow activities statements (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE)
> 7. to allow set a trace to a specific session, similar the tool
> dbms_system.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION include in Oracle Database

This is better asked in the administration (or general) mailing list. I
don't know of a single magic-bullet tool that does everything you list
but you might try with the PostgreSQL docs starting with the monitoring
and logging sections.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/monitoring.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html

Then Google "postgresql monitoring tool" and see what's available
including commercial products from EnterpriseDB:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus_as.do (dig into the
docs and see what their monitoring stuff does)
and monitoring tools such as Hyperic that have PostgreSQL plugins:
http://www.hyperic.com/products/managed/postgresql-management.htm

Cheers,
Steve