Re: Upgrading pgFoundry

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading pgFoundry
Date: 2008-09-26 13:56:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM, David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Re-sent -hackers message:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2008, at 14:02, Joshua Drake wrote:
>>

>>> I think one problem we have right now, is nobody knows what it is going
>>> to take. I would expect that our current version is sufficiently old
>>> enough to cause some migration pain?
>>>
>>> I know we have two members willing to help that are not Stefan and I.
>>> Which is good, but this doesn't appear to be a small project.
>>>
>> Does anyone know what needs to be done? If so, and you'd like to reply with
>> a list of tasks, I can put in a little time this week and maybe next
>> starting down that road. If it's a big job, I likely can't do it all myself,
>> but I'm certainly happy to help out!
>>

> Unless you're an expert with GForge, there's probably not much you can
> do (and we do have one GForge developer who has kindly agreed to work
> on the upgrade. The current issue is one of hardware platform which
> I'm about to go solve myself.

I'm actually an almost-expert with GForge (we offer a range of GForge
courses, including Administration/management, and I hacked around the
code quite a bit), but at present my time is somewhat limited. I did
submit a bunch of bugs/fixes for the soon-to-be-released version some
time ago. I'm not sure if they have been corrected, but IMHO, many of
them are "show stoppers", there's also a bunch of data type issues with
PG 8.3 and GForge - I'm also not sure if they've been fixed. I'm
assuming we'd want to move to the latest release...

I would agree that its definitely not a small project. There have been
lots of changes, esp to the SQL code, and several less-used facets might
still be untested.
> Once that is sorted, and our GForge guy has assessed what needs to be
> done, there may be more tasks that you could help out with.

If there's a list of tasks, I can probably pick and do some of them...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.