Re: FSM, now without WAL-logging

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FSM, now without WAL-logging
Date: 2008-09-24 20:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>>> What's about truncate FSM during WAL replay of main fork truncation record?
>
>> That would work, except that there's no WAL record for truncating the
>> main fork.
>
> Whaddya mean there's no WAL record for that? smgrtruncate produces one.

Ooh, I didn't realize that!

Hmm. The smgrtuncate WAL record is generated after the file is
truncated, so there's still a small window there, where we can be left
with a truncated main fork, but no smgrtruncate record for it, and thus
the page of the FSM representing the truncated blocks doesn't get zeroed
at replay.

--
Heikki Linnakangas