Re: Oracle and Postgresql

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-01 02:44:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

M2Y wrote:

> Why most enterprises prefer Oracle than Postgres even though it is
> free and has a decent enough user community.

Databases are a critical part of many companies' business. I work for
telecom company, and if we were to lose our databases, we'd be out of
business, period. So, "free and decent enough" are not good enough. If
you are going to bet your business on anything, you want to be as sure
as possible that "it" is reliable and that you can expect quick action
if "it" should break.

I tried to introduce PG into our business 4 years ago. Managers
listened to the benefits but went with Oracle. No one ever explained
why, but I've worked in this industry for 30 years and have a pretty
good idea. Oracle is a big company, and we have a 24/7 support contract
with them. If something goes wrong any time of the day, we can call
them and open a support issue.

PG is a great piece of work and equal in performance and features to
commercial DBMSs. You can get support contracts from several companies.
But there is no single entity that "owns" PG. CTOs/CIOs like to sleep
at night.

--
Guy Rouillier