Re: Oracle and Postgresql

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-01 03:44:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:44:38PM -0400, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> M2Y wrote:
>>
>> Why most enterprises prefer Oracle than Postgres even though it is
>> free and has a decent enough user community.
>
> Databases are a critical part of many companies' business. I work
> for telecom company, and if we were to lose our databases, we'd be
> out of business, period. So, "free and decent enough" are not good
> enough. If you are going to bet your business on anything, you
> want to be as sure as possible that "it" is reliable and that you
> can expect quick action if "it" should break.

What they want to have is a huge entity they can blame when everything
goes wrong. They're not interested in the actual response times or
even in the much more important time-to-fix because once they've
blamed Oracle, they know the responsibility is no longer on their
shoulders.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!