Re: Plugin system like Firefox

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plugin system like Firefox
Date: 2008-08-12 18:24:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Robert Haas wrote:
> I can't speak for anyone else, but I much prefer packages that make
> use of my operating system's package management system rather than
> rolling their own. If I need a perl package that I can't get through
> yum, I build my own RPMs rather than installing through CPAN.

I very much agree to that (well, s/RPM/DEB/).

But AFAIK we also need to provide packages for OSes without a package
management system. Windows being the most popular such OS.

Which probably means we should provide something that can work on its
own *or* through another package management system (very much like CPAN
and others, again).

Regards

Markus Wanner