Re: page macros cleanup (ver 03)

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: page macros cleanup (ver 03)
Date: 2008-07-04 09:57:47
Lists: pgsql-patches

Pavan Deolasee napsal(a):
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com> wrote:
>> Patch
>> modifies HashMaxItemSize. It should require reindex on all hash indexes.
>> Should we bump catalog version?
>>

> Do we really need that ? Even if the new HashMaxItemSize comes out to
> be lower than the current limit (because of MAXALIGN), I don't see how
> existing hash indexes can have a larger item than the new limit.

Yeah, I performed calculation and situation is following (for MAXALIGN 4 and 8):

4 8
Orig 8144 8144
New 8148 8144

It should be OK for all cases.

I fixed also one typo (ItemId -> ItemIdData) and new revision is attached.

Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic http://sun.com/postgresql