Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)
Date: 2008-06-30 08:38:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> So put forward a worked-out proposal for some other behavior.

OK

> My first thought is that the -c and -C options create a lot of the
> issues in this area. -c in particular is evidently meant for merging a
> dump into a database that already contains unrelated objects. (In fact
> you could argue that the *default* behavior is meant for this, -c just
> changes the result for conflicts.) It seems unlikely that having
> pg_dump issue ALTER DATABASE SET commands is a good idea in all of these
> scenarios.

Can't comment on --clean since I don't use it. I've always assumed it's
for the case where you don't have a user with permissions to
drop/recreate a database (e.g. web hosting).

IMHO the time a dump/restore should be issuing ALTER...SET on a database
is when it has issued the corresponding CREATE DATABASE. If you want to
tweak this sort of thing, just manually create the database with
whatever options you want and don't use --create.

> I'm also wondering why it'd be bright to treat ALTER ... SET properties
> different from, say, database owner and encoding properties.

Not sure what you mean here.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd