Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)
Date: 2008-06-30 23:45:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> So put forward a worked-out proposal for some other behavior.

> IMHO the time a dump/restore should be issuing ALTER...SET on a database
> is when it has issued the corresponding CREATE DATABASE.

So pg_dump would produce this info when, and only when, you'd used
--create? I agree that it seems sensible in that case, I'm just
wondering if that will cover all the use-cases.

This would mean duplicating some functionality between pg_dump and
pg_dumpall ... or maybe we could move all that logic over to pg_dump and
have pg_dumpall use --create when invoking pg_dump.