Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others
Date: 2008-06-24 20:27:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 05:27:38PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:

>>> Which people, and what are they doing? The silence here has been
>>> deafening.
>> Peter is in charge of the GIT repository, and I've offered to make
>> the changes once we've agreed exactly on what should be done.
>
> I think it's time for a few more people--yes, I'm volunteering for the
> work--to get the needed access for this :)

Heh :)

>>> Who raised those requirements, and where did that discussion take
>>> place?
>> Peter did.
>
> So, no public discussion anywhere, even though this is something that
> the future development of Postgres is supposed to depend on. That's
> just great.

I don't know about that part. My POC has been Peter, I don't know whom
else he has talked to before he told me. I may not have been clear about
that part, sorry.

>>> Gitosis does not, as far as I can tell, have that delegation
>>> capability, but I've come up with a way to do this:
>>>
>>> 1. Use git-shell. Yes, this does involve creating one shell account
>>> for each project, but git-shell is, by design, very short on
>>> exploitable capability.
>>>
>>> 2. Make the .ssh directory a git repository.
>>>
>>> 3. Edit .ssh/authorized_keys and push via git.
>> I was looking into being able to do it using gitosis, with an
>> interface on top of it's existing GIT repository for being able to
>> delegate this.
>
> I discussed this with gitosis's author, and he wants to keep gitosis
> from becoming "a sourceforge reimplementation." He did, however,
> commit to stamping it 1.0 and putting up a TODO list. I'd like to
> package it up for FreeBSD and Fedora, those being two common
> platforms.

That would be good.

>> I think it can be done without modifying gitosis itself, by just
>> writing some simple frontend script on top of it.
>
> Would the front-end script just modify gitosis.conf? If so, it's got
> to be pretty bullet-proof because it can step on access to all the git
> repositories.

Yes, that's what I thought.

>> What do you think of this idea?
>
> It's complicated :(
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to have a gitosis admin team with the needed
> access?

Yes, that'd probably be easier, and it's what I'd start the
implementation out at.

//Magnus