Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others
Date: 2008-06-28 19:38:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:27:28PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> I was looking into being able to do it using gitosis, with an
> >> interface on top of it's existing GIT repository for being able
> >> to delegate this.
> >
> > I discussed this with gitosis's author, and he wants to keep
> > gitosis from becoming "a sourceforge reimplementation." He did,
> > however, commit to stamping it 1.0 and putting up a TODO list.
> > I'd like to package it up for FreeBSD and Fedora, those being two
> > common platforms.
>
> That would be good.

It *would* be good, if the author seemed even vaguely interested in
packaging up so much as a tarball, but he is not. His attitude
is (paraphrasing from conversations with him the past few days), "it's
good enough as a git repository, and everybody who's using it is a git
administrator, so they should know how to wrangle git repositories."
While he may someday outgrow this, we really should not put him and
his attitude in critical paths for our project.

Let's go with git-shell, which is supported and packaged software on
just about every platform, and stop waiting for Godot^Wgitosis.

> >> What do you think of this idea?
> >
> > It's complicated :(
> >
> > Wouldn't it be easier to have a gitosis admin team with the needed
> > access?
>
> Yes, that'd probably be easier, and it's what I'd start the
> implementation out at.

Here's an even simpler implementation: git-ssh and public keys. Yes,
it involves work by administrators, which I'd be delighted to do.

Cheers,
David (cutting a few Gordian knots here)

Remember to vote!