Re: Disk Space issue

From: Tommy Gildseth <tommy(dot)gildseth(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Devendra Singh Rawat <Devendra_Rawat(at)infosys(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Disk Space issue
Date: 2008-06-11 08:57:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Devendra Singh Rawat wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recreated my database this morning with a dump size of 3GB, which after database creation occupied 3.5GB on disk.
> And in less than 8 hours it has bloated to additional 3.7GB (the disk size now is 7.2GB).
>
> There are quite a few DML operations which are happening on my DB.

This is a typical case where you can experience a good deal of index
bloat. I would recommend installing the dbsize contrib module, and
monitor the size of the relations (tables and indexes) in your database,
to see which relations in particular is growing rapidly in size.
Once you've identified the culprit, you could use reindex or cluster to
reclaim the dead space.
Note that reindex and cluster require fairly extensive locks, so not so
good to use on a busy database during working hours.

--
Tommy Gildseth