Re: BUG #4186: set lc_messages does not work

From: "Thomas H(dot)" <me(at)alternize(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4186: set lc_messages does not work
Date: 2008-05-23 09:51:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:

>> please observe the (previously already submitted) test queries. i've
>> removed the date/time testqueries to no further distract from the
>> problem. the bogus query "select x;" always results in a german error
>> messages no matter what LC_MESSAGES is set:
>>
> OK, that's another problem. AFAIK, that's a known problem because
> Windows doesn't have LC_MESSAGES. The above comment (pg_locale.c)
> suggests that there is no verification for the locale that is been set.
> A possible solution is to use IsValidLocaleName() [1] or
> LocaleNameToLCID() [2] but it seems that they're only available for
> Vista. :( Maybe we could emulate one of these functions with a mapping
> table [3]. [searching ...] It seems there are problems with LCIDs; they
> don't describe the locales acurately. pgwin hackers?

how does LC_MESSAGES differ from for example LC_TIME? in LC_TIME, the
checking of the specified locale seems to work:

endor=# set LC_MESSAGES = 'en-US';
SET
endor=# select x;
FEHLER: Spalte »x« existiert nicht
ZEILE 1: select x;
^
endor=# set LC_TIME = 'en-US';
endor=# set LC_TIME = 'en';
endor=# set LC_TIME = 'English';
SET

maybe one could as a workaround just use the lc_time locale checks for
lc_messages on windows systems? or at least match against the internal
pgsql supported translations. i don't mind having to specify "en"
instead of "English" if that gets me english error messages ;)

> Could you try to use one of the locale names described in [4]?

i take it you meant link [3]. i've tried 'en-US' and others, same
problem, errors in german (excerpt above).

> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776379(VS.85).aspx
> [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776388(VS.85).aspx
> [3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776260.aspx

regards,