Re: BUG #4186: set lc_messages does not work

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: "Thomas H(dot)" <me(at)alternize(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4186: set lc_messages does not work
Date: 2008-05-23 04:57:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Thomas H. wrote:

> please observe the (previously already submitted) test queries. i've
> removed the date/time testqueries to no further distract from the
> problem. the bogus query "select x;" always results in a german error
> messages no matter what LC_MESSAGES is set:

OK, that's another problem. AFAIK, that's a known problem because
Windows doesn't have LC_MESSAGES. The above comment (pg_locale.c)
suggests that there is no verification for the locale that is been set.
A possible solution is to use IsValidLocaleName() [1] or
LocaleNameToLCID() [2] but it seems that they're only available for
Vista. :( Maybe we could emulate one of these functions with a mapping
table [3]. [searching ...] It seems there are problems with LCIDs; they
don't describe the locales acurately. pgwin hackers?
Could you try to use one of the locale names described in [4]?

/*
* LC_MESSAGES category does not exist everywhere, but accept it anyway
*
* On Windows, we can't even check the value, so the non-doit case is a
* no-op
*/

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776379(VS.85).aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776388(VS.85).aspx