Re: Odd timezone backend output

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Odd timezone backend output
Date: 2008-05-02 01:58:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>NTFS adjusts winter file times while in daylight savings
>
> The only file times we should ever be interested in are surely epoch
> times, which should be unaffected by time zones.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

epoch, or at least non-timezone adjusted times, is the way every modern
FS stores file times, no one said otherwise. There is a big difference
between time storage and display ... I was talking about display.
Postgres deals with both so at some point, a file time (or any time)
will get displayed. There are different ways of handling daylight
display, I have yet to find a technically correct way of doing it.

The more I think about it, I personally like the display behavior of
NTFS file times over something like EXT3. When I am in EDT, it is
useful to have all display times in that zone (regardless of whether
that time falls within winter or summer) ... just as they would if I
switched to PST.

--
andrew chernow
eSilo, LLC.