psql \pset pager

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql \pset pager
Date: 2008-04-29 20:34:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

My fingers sometimes run on "autoappend semicolon" mode and I end up
typing "\pset pager always;" instead of "\pset pager always". No error
is returned, short (but wide) output is not routed to the pager, and I
have to back up and correct the \pset pager command. After some
experimentation, I found that any unrecognized string sets the pager to
be used for long output:

steve=> \pset pager on;
Pager is used for long output.

steve=> \pset pager off;
Pager is used for long output.

steve=> \pset pager always;
Pager is used for long output.

steve=> \pset pager occasionally
Pager is used for long output.

steve=> \pset pager at random
Pager is used for long output.
\pset: extra argument "random" ignored

The above commands set the pager to be used for long output regardless
of the prior setting. Bad input doesn't generate errors except in the
case where there are too many parameters.

I didn't find this documented. Is the acceptance of bad input by design
or an oversight?

Also, what would be the feasibility of having psql route output to the
pager if the output is too long or too _wide_? I end up with too wide at
least as often as too long.

Cheers,
Steve