Re: Protection from SQL injection

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas(dot)tom(dot)mueller(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Protection from SQL injection
Date: 2008-04-29 20:33:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> Forbidding literals will break absolutely every SQL-using application on the planet
>>

> Well, it's optional. If a developer or admin wants to use it, he will
> know that it could mean some work. Even if the feature is not enabled,
> it's still good to have it. And using constants will help document the
> application.

What is not optional is the probably maintenance complexity of this scheme.

Moreover, it seems unlikely that it will even cover the field. A partial
cloak might indeed be worse than none, in that it will give some
developers an illusion of having security.

Before we embarked on such an enterprise, I would personally want to see
fairly loud clamor from our user base for it.

cheers

andrew