Re: we don't have a bugzilla

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert(at)sxpert(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: we don't have a bugzilla
Date: 2008-04-26 15:54:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I entered "bugzilla" on the archives search page and got this link,
> right out of the recent discussion, at the top of the list:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00764.php
>
> That and a few similar results might have given the OP some hints about
> what people are thinking and why.

How would he know to search at the archives?

* There is no archives signature at the bottom of -hackers lists

* The mail-pref link when followed doesn't provide a link to the archives

* The website? Hmm I guess I click support and then a link called
mailing lists, oh and then there is a link somewhere down the middle of
the page that says, "archives".

Lastly, why would I search the archives?

There is this vast assumption that anyone (I do this too) will just
"know" to do something in this community. I think that assumption is far
off base.

IMO, a more appropriate response would have been something like:

Thanks for the discussion, this is something our community is currently
considering. You can view these two links if you are interested.

<link>
<link>

All we did with our response is say...

Hey, you are a troll, go away. When in fact he likely wasn't.

> Well, his post added precisely nothing to the debate. Personally, when I
> find something surprising my first reaction is to go looking for a
> reason, and only to ask about it if I can't find answers. As I have

As my wife often tells me, "you are not like everyone else".

The first natural response from most people that I encounter, is to ask
not to research.

> demonstrated, finding clues would have been absurdly simple, despite
> your assertion to the contrary. I just don't see any point at all in
> posting a link to some random blog where mostly anonymous posters
> comment on our lack of a bug tracker.

Well I won't disagree that the post was offtopic for the list.

> (BTW, I have long been on the record as being in favor of using a
> tracker for both bugs and features, and I did work some years ago on
> making mainline Bugzilla fully support Postgres.)

Right, which is also why I was surprised by your reply.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake