Re: we don't have a bugzilla

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert(at)sxpert(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: we don't have a bugzilla
Date: 2008-04-26 15:43:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Brendan Jurd wrote:
>
>>> Having done that, please endeavour to make an actual contribution
>>> to the
>>> discussion.
>>>

>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Let's be fair. It would be an almost impossible task to make any
>> sense of the archives on this topic without dedicating tens of hours
>> to the task, and having access to a better way of reading the archives
>> than is offered at archives.postgresql.org.
>
> +1
>
> The idea that anyone would waste their time (and yes it is a complete
> waste of time) reviewing the "archives" which are almost impossible to
> search unless you know "exactly" what you are looking for is ridiculous.
> Andrew, I am frankly surprised that you would have that response for
> the individual.

I entered "bugzilla" on the archives search page and got this link,
right out of the recent discussion, at the top of the list:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00764.php

That and a few similar results might have given the OP some hints about
what people are thinking and why.

So your suggestion that the search engine is useless is just plain wrong
in this case.

> How do you know he was trolling? Perhaps he is just surprised (which
> is the impression that I got) that considering we are such a mature
> project that we don't have a bugzilla or other such beast.

Well, his post added precisely nothing to the debate. Personally, when I
find something surprising my first reaction is to go looking for a
reason, and only to ask about it if I can't find answers. As I have
demonstrated, finding clues would have been absurdly simple, despite
your assertion to the contrary. I just don't see any point at all in
posting a link to some random blog where mostly anonymous posters
comment on our lack of a bug tracker. A reasoned contribution to the
debate on the other hand will be welcome.

Perhaps it wasn't a troll. If it wasn't I apologise. My other points
remain, however.

(BTW, I have long been on the record as being in favor of using a
tracker for both bugs and features, and I did work some years ago on
making mainline Bugzilla fully support Postgres.)

cheers

andrew