Re: Index AM change proposals, redux

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index AM change proposals, redux
Date: 2008-04-24 02:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 12:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> To be acceptable, a GIT patch would have to be optional and it
> I was considering a new pg_index column. Or else we'd have to fix
> the storage-parameter infrastructure to support restricting changes
> of some parameters.

Interesting. Does this mean that down the road a postgis index
might be GIT-ified?

On my biggest tables (clustered by zip/postal code) the index on
the geometry column with a postgis index probably sees all the
rows on each of it's pages pointing to the same few heap pages.
If I understand right, that's the kind of pattern that GIT helps.