Re: PostgreSQL website translations

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Date: 2008-03-27 16:00:50
Lists: pgsql-www

Adrian Maier a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Could work, but we still rely on the translator good will. No automatic
>> process here. Or am I wrong ?
>
> Actually , there are two different purposes :
> 1) detecting which translated pages went out-of-date
> 2) providing some reliable tools that help the translators to easily spot
> the (English) modifications that they need to incorporate into their
> translated texts.

You can already do this with HTML comments on the translation. To use
custom SVN properties, all translators will need to have SVN write
access to pgweb, which can be a problem.

If we agree on the HTML comments, we need to add the Revision tag on
each "template/en" file (see
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.props.special.keywords.html
for details). The PHP code will be able to compare the Revision tag
automatically added by SVN in the english file with the Revision comment
manually added by the translator on the translated file.

For example, we will have:

/* $Revision: 144 $ */

in the english file, and:

/* #Revision: 144 # */

in the translated one. I don't use dollar between "Revision: 144" in the
translated file so that SVN doesn't automatically replace the english
based revision with the new translated revision.

> I am primarily interested in (2) , because plain cvs/svn is not helpful
> enough when translating .
>
> As for (1) : it will never be possible to automatically ensure that a
> translation is truly up-to-date . We'll need to trust the translators when
> they claim they've updated some page . Especially when you don't
> understand their language ...

+1

--
Guillaume.