Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)

From: Zdeněk Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date: 2008-03-26 14:25:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,

I prepared patch for renaming postgreSQL script tools like createdb, createuser,
etc. to pg_createdb, pg_creteuser. Original names will be kept for 2 or 3
following versions. The main reason for the patch is to avoid possible clash of
names with systems tools.

And after long discussion on patches and hackers list we have made a decision
than we need input from wide audience. This is a reason why I prepare following
surveys.

See:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01006.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-07/msg00055.php

Please let us know your meaning,

thanks Zdenek Kotala

1) What type of names do you prefer?
-------------------------------

a) old notation - createdb, createuser ...
b) new one with pg_ prefix - pg_createdb, pg_creteuser ...
c) new one with pg prefix - pgcreatedb, pgcreateuser ...
d) remove them - psql is the solution
e) remove them - pgadmin is the solution

2) How often do you use these tools?
-----------------------------------

a) every day (e.g. in my cron)
b) one per week
c) one time
d) never

3) What name of initdb do you prefer?
---------- --------------------------

a) initdb
b) pg_initdb
c) pg_init
d) pg_ctl -d <dir> init (replace initdb with pg_ctl new functionality)
e) What is initdb? My start/stop script does it automatically.

4) How do you perform VACUUM?

a) vacuumdb - shell command
b) VACUUM - SQL command
c) autovacuum