Re: stored procedure stats in collector

From: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: stored procedure stats in collector
Date: 2008-03-25 12:16:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Howdy,

> Moreover, if it'd be possible to specify which specific functions we
> want to try, then that would be awesome as well.
>
> For instance, possible configuration combinations for track_functions
> can be:
>
> `pl:*' - Tracks procedural, SQL and C (not internal)

It is probably more efficient to track all functions and then use filters
on the stats view. That way the filters can be arbitrarily complex and
are out of the way of critical code path.

Selective filtering could also be implemented using per-function guc
variables. For example, set "track_functions = none" system wide and
then for specific functions:

alter function foo() set track_functions = "all";

Now I just realized that the current patch doesn't handle this quite
correctly. Modified patch attached.

Hans, this should be equivalent to the TRACK / NOTRACK you proposed? If so,
then we can do without the grammar change and just use the per-function guc.

Regards,
Martin

Attachment Content-Type Size
track_functions.patch text/x-diff 54.7 KB