Re: IDENTITY/GENERATED patch

From: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: IDENTITY/GENERATED patch
Date: 2008-02-19 06:34:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane írta:
> Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
>
>> as the wishlist for PostgreSQL 8.4 still has my
>> IDENTITY/GENERATED patches, I thought I refresh it.
>> Before actually doing it though, I wanted to ask for opinions
>> on implementation and ideas.
>>

> IIRC the end conclusion on that patch was that it was awfully messy,
> didn't really buy much in new functionality, and was trying to track a
> portion of the spec that the SQL committee had apparently not gotten
> right yet.
>

>> It seems the last draft for SQL:2008 largely clarified details for
>> IDENTITY columns that were either conflicting or unclear in SQL:2003.
>>

> Implementing stuff that's still changing in a *draft* standard seems
> to me like a good way to get burnt.

From http://www.wiscorp.com/SQLStandards.html :

SQL:2008 Draft International Standard Documents
<http://www.wiscorp.com/sql200n.zip> (Updated 12/14/2007) - *Updated!!!*
This points to the /documents which wlll likely be the documents that
represent the SQL 2008 Standard.
These documents are out for International Standard ballot at this time.
The vote is an Up/Down vote. No changes allowed./

I think it's time to start looking at it.

--
Zoltán Böszörményi