Re: Backward compatibility psql 8.1 to 8.2

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1(at)obviously(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backward compatibility psql 8.1 to 8.2
Date: 2008-02-12 08:32:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> And indeed, most stuff works, but \d for a specific table fails. Has
> there been talk of making a backwards compatibility nod here? I don't
> want to downgrade my development machine, and I don't control the remote
> machine. How fundamentally different is the protocol -- and would it be
> feasible to support both?

Feasible no doubt, but fiddly and useless to most.

You can have multiple installations on the same machine. I think most of
the developers do as do many of the rest of us. What platform are you
running? Debian has built-in support for this, but you can do it
yourself for most installations.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd