Backward compatibility psql 8.1 to 8.2

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1(at)obviously(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backward compatibility psql 8.1 to 8.2
Date: 2008-02-12 08:22:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm getting the dreaded psql warning:

WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 8.1,
but your psql client is major version 8.2. Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

And indeed, most stuff works, but \d for a specific table fails. Has
there been talk of making a backwards compatibility nod here? I don't
want to downgrade my development machine, and I don't control the remote
machine. How fundamentally different is the protocol -- and would it be
feasible to support both?

-Bryce