Re: Postgresql Materialized views

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Date: 2008-01-12 22:31:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Unless you are going to *pay* for it - you do realize that the best
>> way to get it implemented, would be to open up the source code, and
>> give it a try yourself?
>>
>> If it was so easy, and such a clear win, I think one of the very
>> competent people using PostgreSQL today would have already done it?
>>
> No actually, and your reply is offensive. There are a lot of things
> PostgreSQL is missing that are "easy" and a clear win, yet people still
> don't do them. A simple one is the ridiculous usage of pg_dump and
> pg_dumpall. Or that we can't use pg_restore to use the plain text
> backup.
>
> I think his email was very well written and a simple request of
> discussion of alternatives as well as future plans.

Offensive is relative. I find it offensive when people demand things on
one of the many mailing lists I read without providing anything to the
community.

I didn't realize the original poster did not fit this class of person.
For this, I apologize. As for tone - I don't see anything technically
wrong with my response. The best way to get something done *is* to pay
for it, or do it yourself. It's a tried and true practice in the open
source community. Also, I do not think it is as easy as you say - but
feel free to continue the discussion and prove how idiotic I am for
calling the problem "not easy". :-)

Cheers,
mark

--