Re: Postgresql Materialized views

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mark Mielke" <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Date: 2008-01-13 00:03:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 12, 2008 5:31 PM, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I think his email was very well written and a simple request of
>> discussion of alternatives as well as future plans.

Agreed, JD.

> Offensive is relative. I find it offensive when people demand things on one
> of the many mailing lists I read without providing anything to the
> community.

I have to agree with JD. Your response was quite negative.
Similarly, your statement, "If it was so easy, and such a clear win, I
think one of the very competent people using PostgreSQL today would
have already done it?" is misplaced. Jean-Michel didn't say it was
easy at all, he just explained some of the benefits.

Having used materialized views for years, I can tell you they are an
important feature Postgres currently lacks (in native form). Also, as
I have personally looked into implementing materialized views in
Postgres, I can tell you it's not too difficult. However, as Simon
stated, it's an iterative process.

You don't need to jump on someone for a well-written request with a
specific use-case.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301