-d option in pg_dump

From: Mija Lee <mija(at)scharp(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: -d option in pg_dump
Date: 2008-01-08 20:32:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi -

In previous versions of postgres (8.1, 8.0), we had problems loading
some data from dumps that were used the copy command rather than the
insert command. If I remember correctly, these problems were caused by
weird characters in some of the data values. As a result, we tend to use
the -d option with pg_dump. At this point our databases are taking too
long to reload using inserts. I did some testing and haven't run into
the problems with the copy commands but don't want to find out that I
was wrong when I'm trying to restore from a failure.

Were there changes made some time before 8.2.4 that made loading pg_dump
with copy as safe as with insert commands? Have other people had
problems restoring databases from pg_dump without the -d option?

Mija