Re: -d option in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mija Lee <mija(at)scharp(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: -d option in pg_dump
Date: 2008-01-08 22:23:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Mija Lee <mija(at)scharp(dot)org> writes:
> In previous versions of postgres (8.1, 8.0), we had problems loading
> some data from dumps that were used the copy command rather than the
> insert command. If I remember correctly, these problems were caused by
> weird characters in some of the data values. As a result, we tend to use
> the -d option with pg_dump.

As far as I can find from a quick look through the CVS logs, no
data-mangling bug in COPY has been reported or fixed since before 7.4
(at least in the mainline code --- CSV mode has had some teething pains,
but pg_dump has never used CSV mode). The last patch I can find that
addressed any such problem was here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2003-10/msg00050.php

If you've had issues since then, you really should have filed bug
reports.