Re: Foreign key dialog

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign key dialog
Date: 2007-12-12 20:48:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at a foreign key details. I wonder why the "FK index name"
> is only available on the dialog. Or is it the same thing that the
> "Covering index" on the details table ?

I believe so, yes. The naming difference could be fixed I guess.

> Last one (and this is why I'm looking at this right now), if I drop this
> index and display the details of the foreign key with the foreign key
> dialog, I see that a name is displayed despite the fact that there's no
> such index. And the SQL tab says nothing has changed because the auto
> index checkbox is not checked.
>
> All this seems a bit disturbing.

Not surprising - dropping the index doesn't cause the FK object to be
refreshed. That would actually be quite difficult I imagine as there is
no direct link between the two.

> ISTM that either the "Auto Index" checkbox should be checked or the "FK
> index name" should be disabled till "Auto Index" checkbox is checked.

The checkbox tells pgAdmin to create an index with the specified name to
cover the FK columns. When looking at the properties later, it will
always be cleared - though I guess it might be better to set it if there
is an index, and disable both it and the index name field.

Are you going to tweak that with the other stuff you were going to do?

Regards, Dave.