autovacuum: recommended?

From: Gábor Farkas <gabor(at)nekomancer(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: autovacuum: recommended?
Date: 2007-11-16 09:40:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

hi,

we are moving one database from postgresql-7.4 to postgresql-8.2.4.

we have some cronjobs set up that vacuum the database (some tables more
often, some tables less often). now, in pg82, there is the possibility
of using the autovacuum.

my question is: is it recommended to use it? or in other words, should i
only use autovacuum? or it's better to use manual-vacuuming? which one
is the "way of the future" :) ? or should i use both auto-vacuum and
manual-vacuum?

in other words, i'd like to find out, if we should simply stay with the
vacuuming-cronjobs, or should we move to using auto-vacuum? and if we
should move, should we try to set it up the way that no manual-vacuuming
is used anymore?

thanks,
gabor