Re: Visibility map thoughts

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Visibility map thoughts
Date: 2007-11-06 13:24:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marko Kreen wrote:
> On 11/6/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> (Gosh, we really need a name for the sort of vacuum. I was about to say
>> "we'd still need regular regular VACUUMs" :-))
>
> As the new VACUUM variant will be somewhat unsafe, it should
> not replace "regular" VACUUM but get separate name.

What do you mean by unsafe? It is supposed to reclaim all dead tuples a
normal vacuum would, except for HOT updated tuples that can be pruned
without scanning indexes. It doesn't advance the relfrozenxid or update
stats, though.

> VACUUM FAST maybe? Informally "fastvacuum". Something with
> "lazy" or "partial" would also be possibility.

We already call the regular vacuum "lazy" in the source code, as opposed
to VACUUM FULL. Partial is also bit misleading; while it doesn't scan
the whole table, it should find all dead tuples.

--
Heikki Linnakangas