Parsed Query Trees

From: Kevin Neufeld <kneufeld(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Parsed Query Trees
Date: 2007-11-05 18:46:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Does anyone know if a parsed query tree object is exposed in the jdbc
API? I couldn't find any such thing, nor could I find it in the
developers roadmap.

My particular requirement is that I need to be able to parse /
deconstruct an arbitrary SELECT query (which may be overly complicated)
and add custom filters to the WHERE clause depending on what columns
(optionally schema-qualified) and server datatypes are specified in the
select clause.

I'm currently use a sql parser that I wrote, but it seems silly to have
to re-invent the wheel. I suppose I could use a 3rd party jar, like
sql4j or Zsql, but these are rather old and simplistic and don't seem to
do what I need them to do. Postgres is already parsing my sql queries -
it would just be nice to have access to these parsed query trees so I
can edit and then resend them to the database.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Neufeld
Software Developer