Re: Wish list and Doc Errors

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wish list and Doc Errors
Date: 2007-10-18 10:58:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Laurent ROCHE wrote:
> As a trade off just having some documentation is nice. I understand from
> your post that getting the PG help file is time consuming : you could
> just have a pointer to the help web version of the latest PG version
> (installed locally)

Under File -> Options you can set the URL for the documentation. This
can be http:// or file:// and can point to a directory of HTML files, a
zip file containing the HTML files or a compiled HTML Help file as will
ship with PostgreSQL for Windows.

> * pgAgent questions ?
>
> - Is pgAgent suitable to use in a production environment or is it just
> a development tool ?

Yes, it can be used in production.

> * pgAgent : suggestions (feature requests)
>
> - A "run now" function will be interesting, e.g. an extra command in
> the right click menu.

Will be in 1.8.

> - Wizard to install the pgAgent (instead of running a script).
> The wizard could create a set of "standard" jobs (disabled) to use as
> exmaples/templates, e.g. maintenance (VACUUM and REINDEX), backup (dump).

I can't get excited about that - running the script isn't exactly the
tricky bit.

> - Defining a default database at the job level instead of the step
> level. Then to be able to copy/paste the job and just change the db name
> (to run the same thing on other db). Also defining a db_name macro to be
> able to reuse the name in the SQL produced (e.g. for REINDEX DATABASE
> db_name).

Copying/pasting nodes is a whole major project of it's own. Having
macros in the jobs steps sounds useful and quite simple though. Anyone
want to give it a go?

> Even better than the copy/paste would be to define a list of databases
> (instead of one) so the very same jobs can be ran on different dbs (of
> course one after the other).
> This would be very useful for maintenance jobs for instance.

Hmm, would have to think about how that could be done.

> - check all and uncheck all buttons for the three lists of schedule
> Days tab.
> - when clicking on a step, one should see the code in the SQL pane (in
> particular when this is SQL ... but that would not hurt to display the
> script command as well).

Those shouldn't be too hard. Anyone want them?

> * Translation Errors
>
> - Sequence Start in French Version
> When editing a SEQUENCE the START value is translated by "Valeur
> Actuelle" which roughly translated would be "Last value", I would think
> a better translation should be "Prochaine valeur" (i.e. "Next Value") or
> "Valeur de départ" (i.e. "Start Value").

I'll leave that to Guillaume.

> * Errors in pgAgent Documentation
> A few mistakes in the documentation spotted, with corrections suggestions !
>
> - pgAgent Installation
>
> . Database setup
> 2nd paragraph:
> <quote>Once created, connect to the new database, and open the SQL
> tool.</quote>
> should be replaced by
> <quote>Connect to the "postgres" database (once created if needed), and
> open the SQL tool.</quote>

Changed.

> . Service installation on Windows
> <quote>Usage:
>
> "C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\pgAgent" REMOVE <serviceName>
> "C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\pgAgent" INSTALL <serviceName> [options]

Fixed, though not quite as you suggested - I removed the path altogether
there, and noted that it might need to be adjusted in the example
further down.

> - pgAgent Jobs
>
> . Second phrase
> <quote>To configure jobs on your server, browse to the database in which
> the pgAgent database objects were created using pgAdmin.</quote>
> Should be replaced with:
> <quote>To configure jobs on your server, browse the server on which the
> pgAgent was installed (script run on postgres database).</quote>

Changed to:

To configure jobs on your server, browse to the server on which the
pgAgent database objects were created.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Dave