Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opensup

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Antonio Fiol Bonnin" <fiol(at)w3ping(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Doug McNaught" <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>, "Lincoln Yeoh" <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opensup
Date: 2001-11-30 11:06:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Of course, given that most OS's don't have the 'ps' environment
problem,
> maybe we have to keep PGPASSWORD around. It is up to the group. Do
> people want me to change my wording of the option in the SGML sources?
>
> <envar>PGPASSWORD</envar>
> sets the password used if the backend demands password
> authentication. This is not recommended because the password can
> be read by others using a <command>ps</command> environment flag
> on some platforms.

I think the wording is good. I would keep supporting the envar.

What exactly speaks against a commandline switch, that gets hidden
with the postmaster argv trick, and a similar notice as for PGPASSWORD.
For me, this would be the most convenient form of supplying a password
(if I used db side passwords :-).

Andreas