Re: History question

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: History question
Date: 2001-11-30 10:53:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:50:19AM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> While surfing through our web page I found some references about Postgres
> (the original Berkley project) starting as Ingres. Now I wonder whether we
> or let's say the original Postgres project still used Ingres or parts
> thereof.
>
> The original Postgres FAQ say
>
> Q. What is the connection between POSTGRES and University Ingres?
>
> A. There is none, aside from Prof. Stonebraker. There is no
> compatibility between the two software packages, and the research
> projects had differing objectives
>
> This certainly sounds like these two are different projects by the same
> Prof.

Ingres - 1982 -- 1985
- Michael Stonebraker and Eugene Wong at UC-Berkeley
- Ingres = Interactive Graphics and Retrieval System
- original developed on PDP-11/45
- original query language was QUEL

Postgres - 1985(?) - 1994
- based on Ingres
- start with idea make Ingres more OO
- the father was again Stonebraker

Postgres95 - 1994-1995
- UC-Berkeley's students Jolly Chen and Andrew Yu

Mariposa - based on Postgres95
- keynote was specific non realtime replication
- alive this project still?

PostgreSQL - summer 1996
- OpenSource

Companies:

* Ingres Corporation (set up Stonebraker?)
* Robert Epstein from UC-Berkeley team set up Sybase
* Paula Hawthorn from UC-Berkeley team set up
Illustra Information Technologies Incorporated, now know as
Informix

If I know (from some resources on web) M. Stonebraker work with/on
Ingres, Illustra and Informix.

By the way on the world exist two original branchs of SQL DB where is
possible found inspiration of all DB:

* System-R now know as DB2
* Ingres (PostgreSQL, Informix)

http://www.nap.edu/readingroom/books/far/ch6.html
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/sqlr95.html
http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/

Do know some other good URL about DB history?

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/