Re: deinstallation - reinstallation on Mac OS 10.4

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Christoph Heibl <christoph(dot)heibl(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: deinstallation - reinstallation on Mac OS 10.4
Date: 2007-07-24 09:19:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Christoph Heibl wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help! By deleting the pgsql directory I get some
> steps further. Now I get stuck by a error message saying
> "postmaster.pid" already exists, when I try to start postmaster. I am
> not really sure what this means because I think I initiated the database
> only once, but I guess I have to try a little bit more to solve this
> problems.

The existence of postmaster.pid would indicate that postgresql is either
running or was not stopped properly. If it your sure it isn't running
then you can delete the .pid file manually.

If you are familiar with the terminal then ps aux | grep postgres will
list any processes running. If there are any stop postgresql and if the
.pid file remains delete it then start postgresql.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz