Re: Constructing a SELECT statement in pl/pgsql

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Constructing a SELECT statement in pl/pgsql
Date: 2007-05-16 22:38:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I guess my question is how to replace the following...
>
> FOR searchresults IN SELECT * FROM my_view WHERE <snip> LOOP
>
> With something like this...
>
> FOR searchresults IN SELECT DISTINCT clientname FROM my_view WHERE <snip> LOOP

Build the query as text and use EXECUTE (see manuals for details).

You'll also find quote_ident() and quote_literal() useful - again see
manuals.

You'll need to think through the type implications of picking columns
based on supplied parameters - how do you cope with selecting an integer
this time and a text column next time?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd