UTF-8 to ASCII

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: UTF-8 to ASCII
Date: 2007-05-11 12:13:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a doubt about the function to_ascii() and what the documentation
says.

Basically, I passed my DB from latin1 to UTF-8, and I started getting an
error when using the to_ascii() function on a field of one of my DB [1]:

ERROR: la conversión de codificación de UTF8 a ASCII no está soportada

OK, it's in spanish, but basically it says that the conversion UTF8 to
ASCII is not supported, but in the documentation [2] I see this in the
"Table 9-7. Built-in Conversions":

utf8_to_ascii UTF8 SQL_ASCII

Is the documentation wrong or something?

I'm on postgresql-8.1.8, and as you can see, I'm checking the
corresponding documentation.

[1]: This I already solved using convert() to pass from UTF to Latin1,
and after that I do a to_ascii().
[2]:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/functions-string.html#FTN.AEN7625

--
21:50:04 up 2 days, 9:07, 0 users, load average: 0.92, 0.37, 0.18
Lic. Martín Marqués | SELECT 'mmarques' ||