Re: UTF-8 to ASCII

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 to ASCII
Date: 2007-05-11 13:33:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Martin Marques escribió:
> I have a doubt about the function to_ascii() and what the documentation
> says.
>
> Basically, I passed my DB from latin1 to UTF-8, and I started getting an
> error when using the to_ascii() function on a field of one of my DB [1]:
>
> ERROR: la conversión de codificación de UTF8 a ASCII no está soportada

Well, the to_ascii() documentation says that it only supports LATIN1,
LATIN2, LATIN9, and WIN1250. This is on a footnote.

I do think that there's something strange on the vicinity anyway,
because using convert() expliciting the conversion function gives a
mismatching error for me (local environment is UTF8, as is
client_encoding):

alvherre=# select convert('Martín' using utf8_to_ascii);
ERROR: character 0xc3 of encoding "MULE_INTERNAL" has no equivalent in "SQL_ASCII"

Why on earth is it talking about MULE_INTERNAL?