Re: Heap page diagnostic functions

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Heap page diagnostic functions
Date: 2007-05-01 15:48:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> Any suggestions? pgdiagnostics?
>
>> Yes, I like "diagnostics", or "internals". I just think forensics isn't
>> going to be understood by the average native English speaker, let alone
>> non-English speakers.
>
> "diagnostics" is a two-dollar word also. It might be a bit more widely
> known than "forensics", but it's longer and harder to spell. Not that
> I have any great suggestions to make. Maybe "pgtestfuncs"?

I thought about pgdebugfuncs myself at first. But that's so generic and
pgtestfuncs even more so. Diagnostics is pretty good, that word is in
use in other languages as well as a medical term, so it's meaning would
be clear to a lot of people even if they've never encountered the
English word before.

Besides, the audience for these functions is quite narrow: people
working on PostgreSQL internals, so I don't think the language issue
matters that much.

--
Heikki Linnakangas