Re: [Fwd: PGBuildfarm member narwhal Branch HEAD Status changed from OK to InstallCheck failure]

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: PGBuildfarm member narwhal Branch HEAD Status changed from OK to InstallCheck failure]
Date: 2007-04-27 07:57:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> I've been seeing this failure intermittently on Narwhal HEAD, and once
>> on 8.1. Other branches have been OK, as have other animals running on
>> the same physical box. Narwhal-HEAD is run more often than any other
>> builds however.
>
> Oh, this is interesting:
>
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=baiji&dt=2007-04-26%2022:00:02
>
> Different compiler, different OS, not quite the same block number (109,
> whereas IIRC all the previous examples have complained of block 104).
> Is this the same physical machine as narwhal?

Yes, it is. It's an FC6 box running VMWare server, with a Win 2k3r2 VM
and a Vista ultimate VM, both with mingw and msvc animals.

I'm still not convinced it's a hardware problem - aside from the fact
that it's the same error every time (although, I note in this case it
was in check, not installcheck), I would expect at least one of SMART,
FC6, VMware or 2k3/Vista to spot that there was a problem. I have also
recreated the virtual disks of both VMs since this started happening. I
wonder if we're hitting some odd bug in VMware.

Anyhoo, unfortunately Baiji wasn't set to keep error builds - I've
changed that now and will run it a few times again. I'll also run a
sector level check of Narwhal's virtual disk and see if that complains.

Regards, Dave.