Re: GiST rtree logic is not right

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Pgsql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GiST rtree logic is not right
Date: 2005-06-23 14:08:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> I'll look at problem after GiST concurrency. Fixing
>> rtree_gist is bug a fix, not a new feature, so I'm not
>> limited by 1 July.

> Wont fixing rtree(_gist) require initdb, since the behaviour of the
> operators will change?

Possibly, but we never guarantee no initdb until final release anyway.

Teodor is right that this is a bug fix and so can be postponed on its
own terms. But moving rtree_gist into the core looks like a feature
change to me, so if that's going to happen it has to happen before
1 July. It would be a lot easier to sell that if it gave the right
answers ;-)