Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?

From: Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
Date: 2007-04-01 19:39:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> There's also the performance angle. The current mbverify is very
> inefficient for encodings like UTF-8. You might need to refactor a bit
> there...

There appears to be a lot of function call overhead in the current
implementation. In pg_verify_mbstr, the function pointer
pg_wchar_table.mbverify is called for each multibyte character in a multibyte
string.

Refactoring the way these table driven functions work would impact lots of other
code. Just grep for all files #including mb/pg_wchar.h for the list of them.
The list includes interfaces/libpq, and I'm wondering if software that links
against postgres might rely on these function prototypes?

mark